Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly tag created by Lainey (Gingerreadslainey on Youtube) over on Goodreads and now being hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes. Every week book lovers write/talk about their particular Top 5 for a topic and post it on blogs and YouTube. Feel free to check out the Goodreads page and join in!
Today’s Topic: February 1 – Book Trends You’re Tired of
- Let’s start off with an easy one. That would be the horrible trend of categorizing New Adult books as YA to get more sold. I hate this. It makes me upset. But it happens. Paper Princess by Erin Watt is a good example (I’ve also seen this one on Amazon under the children/middle grade category. What?!). ACOMAF is a great example. Ugh, it just bothers me.
- I also am tired of readers bashing other readers. Comments like “I can’t believe anyone would rate this book 5 stars” or “Anyone who likes this book must be ignorant and stupid”. Anything like that in reviews really annoys me. Keep your comments on the books. There’s no need to bash other readers. There’s not that many readers in the world. We have to stick together. I sound dumb, but does this annoy anyone else?
- The “I’ve fallen in love with my step-brother I’ve just met” plot line. I just am not a fan. I’ve read three book series with this as the main theme and I just don’t like it. I guess I have find a different forbidden love to love.
- This is not used as often. I also love/hate this, but it’s when a book uses Harry Potter references. I used to love it, but then Carry On by Rainbow Rowell came out. And I’ve since learned that I don’t love it anymore, it kind of annoys me unfortunately. And I LOVE HP, so it’s kind of surprising to me. Just a sentence or so is fun, but anymore than that and I’m out.
- Lastly, I’m tired of half naked guys on New Adult books. I’m pretty sure this is why Colleen Hoover has done so well. No half-naked guys. Lol, it also makes me feel like I have to read these books that I really enjoy on my Kindle or else people will judge me so harshly.
–So, those are my slight annoyances that I have with books lately. I don’t think I stuck to the prompt and I also got a little rant-y. My bad!
–Hope you enjoyed, let me know if we share any of the same annoyances in books!